Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Incident by Countee Cullen

Incident
by Countee Cullen

Once riding in old Baltimore,
Heart-filled, head-filled with glee,
I saw a Baltimorean
Keep looking straight at me.
Now I was eight and very small,
And he was no whit bigger,
And so I smiled, but he poked out
His tongue, and called me, “Nigger.”
I saw the whole of Baltimore
From May until December;
Of all the things that happened there
That’s all that I remember.
 
Explorations of the text
 1) What is the nature of the interactions between the two boys?

  • The  interactions between the two boys is about the different between black and white people during that time and its called racism in 1925.  There also a prejudice side in this poem

2)  Why does the speaker remember nothing more than the incident,even though he lived in Baltimore from 'May until December"?

  • In my opinion, the speaker which were the kids  just  remember bad thing when people insult or hurt them whether mentally or physically. For example when someone called him as a "nigger"


The reading/ writing connection
1) In a paragraph,compare your experience of prejudice with the persona in the poem?

  • My experience about prejudice when i was in secondary school. My friend told me that i'm the one who not supposed to be prefect because i'm not a good ones. As a friend we must be supporting each other rather than condemning a  friend that maybe you dont know well inside. They  look down of me but they don;t know me well.

Ideas for writing

1)what do its form and rhyme add to this poem?

  • The rhyme in this poem is ABCB.  This poem contain 3 stanza and 4 line in each stanza.

2) What is the power of language? What are the effects of the use of the term nigger?

  •   My point of view,the power of language is how  we use the language and the effects when the receiver is understand or not what we are trying to say. Whether the information is delivered well or not. The effects when using the term "nigger" that insulting people really make the kids down deep because the kids know what term is used for.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment